I've been wanting to do this post for some time. A lot of people don't know what it's like to have your diet lifestyle turned upside down, so I thought I would share: Things I love/learned about having Celiac's Disease:
- Anytime time I've gone out to lunch with my rents, my dad brings me a Diet Mt Dew (Taco Time only has Coke products)
- Sky Lakes Medical Center now has Diet Mt Dew from the tap! With the celestial ice!
- "Saw this and thought of you..." A common phrase from family members when fowarding an e-mail to me regarding GF
- Nic claims he's switched me over to the "dark side" of Diet Mt Dew (I would rather have a dark colored Diet drink ;)
- My family and in-laws do anything to accomodate my eating
- I can still eat Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Peanut Butter Snickers
- When making a packaged GF food (bread, cookie, cake, etc), FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS to a T
- When making a "regular" cookie recipe, you can't easily substitute a GF flour for the all-purpose flour
- GF Rice Krispie Treats taste EXACTLY the same as regular Rice Krispies
- I still crave things I can't eat (AKA Twinkies - on going craving) It's like a pregnancy craving = it never goes away
- The fact that I can't bear my own children easily is a blessing in disguise - I can't pass Celiacs Disease to them. The million dollar question: did I get it from a distant relative?
- Nic is nothing less then amazing. He is always so concerned to make sure I have things to eat at work or when we go out to eat.
- Wheat is in EVERYTHING
This list could go on...and on...and on, but I'm going to stop. It's a good thing I have such an amazing family or else I don't know how I could have gone GF so easily.