Wednesday, October 7, 2009

MSW???

Last night I went to a meeting about Portland State's Distance Option for a Masters in Social Work... Background info: Last Summer my mom and I were planning a trip to all of the MSW schools I had researched and were going to apply to...then I met Nic and my plans changed. I was going to be able to get my MSW in 1 year because of an advanced standing program. You are able to do that if you have a BSW. Because my degree has changed, so have my plans... Getting an MSW is on my bucket list. I don't know when I will accomplish this or if I ever will, but it's a goal of mine. I decided to go to this meeting last night to see what one of my options is. In a nutshell: mostly online work - travel to Portland 4 times/term for the 1st year - travel to Ashland (SOU) 4 times/per term 2nd and 3rd years. The travel would be for 2 days, on campus classes from 9 am - 4 pm on Friday and Saturday. I have heard that PSU has an amazing social work program and this was one of the schools on my list. It was a very informative meeting...Problems? Cost is unbelievable. They just raised their tuition by about 10% which was huge! They still plan on raising it more next year. Ahh! That's where FAFSA comes into play. That's an option...I don't know what it is, but something is holding me back. Nervous? Too young? I was the youngest person at that meeting. haha I think what it boils down to is that I don't feel confident enough in myself. I don't know why...Timing is everything with this. I have no idea if this will be in 2, 4, 8, 10 years. Who knows?! I don't. Nic was thinking like in a couple of years. Ahh! This would be such a huge committment and I would need all of the support I can get. I can't even believe I'm even talking about it. Crazy! Nic did say something so sweet to me last night; he said that no matter what I decide, he is completely supportive. It made me so happy to know that Nic is 110% behind me no matter what - that's amazing support every girl deserves. :) I'm really glad I went to the meeting. I've got some praying to do to figure out what the best decision is for me/us/my family. I'm researching other online MSW programs. Texas University. University of North Dakota. ???

1 comment:

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

You might be busy with a different sort of job that will make this decision all the easier!